Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Crazy 8's and Megaphone Cakes!

It seems the only thing I have been consistently doing with this blog is recapping my daughter's birthdays. This past weekend was her 8th birthday. I begged her the night before to stay 7. I told her she could still grow but always needed to stay at age 7. She said, "Mom, I can't do that. But don't worry when you turn 65, you can stay 65 forever." I find it hilarious that kids have no concept of age, however I had hoped that I looked younger than 65. Guess not!

My life has been crazy hectic since January 1. The addition of Scoobs has added to the fun. I feel like I have a newborn. I am not doing well adjusting to my new schedule and my time management seems to be on vacation somewhere far from here. The ex wanted to take our daughter to NYC for her birthday to get her an American Girl doll for his house. Fine. Well that meant she was not going to be at school on her actual birthday and I needed to do her school treats a day earlier then I had planned in my mind.

I am going to take a break from this story to talk about my baking cabinet. It's relevant I promise. Growing up my mom always had baking cabinet. An entire large cabinet dedicated to baking supplies. Within the cabinet was pretty much the supplies to make any baked good you could think of. My sister and I both have baking cabinets. Keeping them stocked is typically part of grocery shopping, key word, typically.

After a fun night at Chick Fil A with one of her friends we get home at 9pm and I had nothing made for the birthday treat. I had purchased supplies to make cool magephone shaped cake pops but I was too tired. I convinced the little one to let me just bake her cupcakes. She picked out her cake mix (yes there were 3 options in the cabinet), her sprinkles (yes there are SEVERAL varieties), and I was relieved. Until I started looking for cupcake liners. Here is what I found: St Patrick's Day, Easter, Halloween, and Christmas. What I didn't find was any plain. It was 10:30, the kid was sleeping and there isn't a husband around here to send out so I could go to the store. So I started thinking of plan B. Why wouldn't I just use the other liners? Because that's not how I roll. I have set a high baking standard at her school. Out of season cupcake liners will not do! Then I thought I would make her a chocolate chip cookie cake, but I didn't have chocolate chips. I was frantically texting my sister for ideas to which she replied, "What is going on over there". I replied, "Poverty and lack of time". Recent personal budget restrictions and lack of time to actually grocery shop have caused the baking cabinet to not get replenished. My next idea was cake in the perfect brownie pan. Has anyone done this? I chickened out, it was 11pm at this point, I didn't have time for a failed experiment. Fine I will make brownies, crap, that pan only makes 18 and I need at least 26. And of course I only have 1 mix. Then it came to me! I had mini muffin pans and I did have plain white mini cupcake liners, and christmas, st patricks day and halloween ones too. :-) I had a can of tub icing that was supposed to be for the cake balls. And her birthday treat was created. Brownie bites, with a swirl of icing, pink sugar sprinkles and a heart sprinkle on top. Whew! I now have a nice long list of items needed for that cabinet to avoid such crisis in the future. Do you have a baking cabinet?

The Saturday after her birthday I decided to throw a small party for her. Her real present was Scoobs, upon getting Scoobs I informed her that she wouldn't have a friend party but my parents were in town so we had a little get together. I surprised her with her cake. This cake was probably the easiest I have ever made. I used an 11x16 sheet cake pan. I cut diagonal lines starting at the corners of one side. Then I used the remaining cake to cut out the handle. I tinted the buttercream hot pink and smooth iced the cake. Then I piped the premade Wilton black icing for the design.

It was a jam packed weekend with parties, cheer leading, and the Super Bowl but we had fun and I think I successfully gave Bella some pretty awesome birthday baked goods despite having an amateur stocked baking cabinet. I am not even going to start thinking about her next birthday. At least I know I am good to stay at 65! :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment