Saturday, February 11, 2012

Color my Heart!

I have had this bag of broken misfit crayons laying around for a while. I have been hoarding them to some day make those cute little shaped crayons. We were shopping the dollar section at Target and I came across the heart shaped silicone trays and I thought it might be a fun activity for the weekend. Its not like we have anything else to do (sarcasm). I thought they would make cute Valentine's giveaways at school. As I was searching for my bag I realized we have a LOT of crayons. I caught my child hoarder "saving" some of the broken ones. I did a batch of the hearts when she wasn't looking, don't get upset with me, she has PLENTY of crayons.

To figure out what to do I did a google search for how to make them. Basically you have to unwrap all of the crayons. This step I did not enjoy, neither did my 8 year old. I recommend using scissors or a razor blade to cut the wrappers, this helped a lot. Despite the effort, it makes a cool pile.

Then you break them up into small pieces.


Then you put them in the silicone trays. I realized later that we were using an ice cube tray. Probably not so smart on my part but it didn't melt...too bad. I also put the trays on a baking sheet. Bake them at 325 degrees until the crayons melt. Let them cool completely, have patience! I broke one because I don't have patience. This is what you get! So cute right?

I am going to put these in little plastic bags and tie with cute ribbon. I don't know why I can't just give out paper valentine's like everyone else. Then again if you read anything in this blog I am sure you are not surprised that I don't do those! Happy Valentine's Day!

4 comments:

  1. You have got an spirit of craftiness within you. keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are really pretty! Great idea too, definitely something memorable with some thought attached to it! Tempted to go out and by some crayons and try it myself!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a neat idea! It's thoughtful and practical.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a beautiful! thank you so much for share.

    ReplyDelete